5 Signs You Might Need a Tummy Tuck
By Michael A. Devlin, MD on January 26, 2015
Keep reading to learn five signs that a tummy tuck might be appropriate for you.
1. Loose abdominal muscles. If your abdominal muscles seem resistant to exercise, a tummy tuck surgery can address this problem. Dr. Devlin will separate the layers of skin and fat from the muscle and then pull the muscles together at the middle, creating tighter, firmer muscles and a flatter stomach.
2. Extreme skin laxity and excess fat. If your skin has little to no elasticity left, you will likely need a tummy tuck to improve its appearance. Once skin has become “stretched out,” even removing any fat behind it will not fix the situation. Skin laxity is not only caused by the stretching that occurs during pregnancy, it also can occur in people who have lost significant weight via dieting or gastric bypass. Tummy tucks are not just for mommies, but for anyone who has excess skin and fat—including men.
3. Still wearing maternity clothes months (or years) after giving birth. Celebrities’ careers depend on getting their pre-baby bellies back in record time, but that’s just not realistic for most of us. However, if after a year of dieting and exercise you haven’t seen any improvement and find wearing non-maternity clothes uncomfortable, you might wish to discuss a tummy tuck with Dr. Michael Devlin. Additionally, if you have slimmed down considerably after dieting or bypass surgery, you may be frustrated that you have lost so many pounds only to find your clothing options are still limited. A tummy tuck can make a huge difference in how you look in your clothes (as well as out of them!)
4. Significant stretch marks. Unfortunately, there is still no perfect solution for stretch marks. However, if you have excess skin removed during a tummy tuck, most stretch marks will be removed as well. If there are any remaining stretch marks, they will likely be much lower on your abdomen where they are less visible. And, your beautiful new curves and sculpted muscles will draw attention away from them!
5. Decreased body confidence. One of the best reasons to have a tummy tuck may simply be that you do not feel confident about yourself and body. Decreased self-confidence can negatively impact your personal life, your sex life, and how you interact with others at work and play. It’s important to look and feel your best, and it may be hard to do that if you are feeling self-conscious and less than secure in your appearance.
You might be a candidate for a tummy tuck if you are:
- Generally in good health
- Desire a flatter stomach, stronger abdominal muscles and a more beautiful, sculpted waistline
The surgery is available for both men and women.
To learn more about tummy tuck and to find out if you are a candidate for this procedure call:
Devlin Cosmetic Surgery: Michael Devlin,M.D.
Related to This
“Dr. Devlin helped me rewrite the ending to my journey from fat to fabulous. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.” Lisa Bordeaux, from a Google+ Review