Male Breast Reduction (Gynecomastia) Series Part 1: The Increase In Male Breast Reduction Surgery
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) publishes a report each year showing the plastic surgery trends for cosmetic surgery.
Gynecomastia or male breast reduction surgery consistently shows an increase year after year. The 2014 report just came out reflecting the largest annual increase to date at a whopping 14%, with 26,175 cases performed!
Dr Michael Devlin own practice in Little Rock, Arkansas has seen the number of men seeking male breast reduction in Little Rock Arkansas double since 2013. Gynecomastia (“man breasts” or “man boobs”) is a condition which creates enlarged, benign breast tissue in men. Up to an astounding 69 percent of males will experience this condition at some point in their adolescence during hormone surge or after taking certain medications. While Gynecomastia most commonly occurs within the confines of male puberty, it can persist into adulthood. For those patients who experience enlarged breast tissue into adulthood, surgical intervention is often the only solution as true Gynecomastia does not respond to diet and exercise.
Male Breast Reduction Candidates:
1. You are mentally and physically healthy.
2. You are within normal body weight.
3. You are a non smoker or you have quit smoking for at least six weeks
4. You are looking to improve appearance and boost self-confidence.
5. Your breast development has stabilized. Dr. Devlin recommends waiting until after puberty before considering surgery, as pubertal gynecomastia can resolve over time.
6. You are bothered, embarrassed and/or ashamed by enlarged breasts, such as, experiencing anxiety about taking your shirt off at the beach or gym.
7. You wear undergarments to disguise the appearance of enlarged breasts.
Dr. Devlin explains,” most of my male breast reduction patients have suffered for many years without knowing that something could be done. It hasn’t been until the last couple of years when men started turning to the internet and realized that they are not alone. Not only was there a name to their condition but treatment options.”
Male Breast Reduction Patient Review:
Dr. Devlin performed surgery on me 6 months ago. I am a male and since I can remember I have always been self conscious about my chest. I have been researching gynecosmatia surgery for at least twoyears. I was actually going to go out of state to have my surgery but I fortunately found Dr. Devlin. I was extremely comfortable with his knowledge and expertise the minute I met him. I am very very happy with my results. It is better than I ever imagined. I am happy to say that summer was the first time I took off my shirt in public since I was 12 years old! If you have ever suffered like me, please go see this doctor!! You will be happy you did.
Contact Devlin Cosmetic Surgery in Little Rock Arkansas Today:
Check back soon for our second series in the blog Gynecomastia: What to Expect Before and After Surgery