Tumescent Liposuction Technique
By Michael A. Devlin, MD on December 22, 2018
Eating healthy and exercising regularly can work wonders for your general fitness, but losing the last few pounds can be very difficult. That’s especially true if you have some stubborn love handles or lower abdominal fat. That’s when cosmetic fat removal through liposuction might be the right option for you. Little Rock, AR plastic surgeon Dr. Michael Devlin has helped people achieve their cosmetic goals thanks to some expertly targeted liposuction.
The team at Devlin Cosmetic Surgery offers different kinds of liposuction to address the needs of patients. One option is tumescent liposuction, which we would like to cover the basics of below.
About Tumescent Liposuction
Tumescent liposuction is a type of cosmetic fat removal that uses injected fluid to help reduce pain and bleeding while helping surgeons remove body fat with greater ease. The fluid injected into the treatment area consists of two key substances:
- Lidocaine - Lidocaine is a type of local anesthetic.
- Epinephrine - Epinephrine helps shrink blood vessels in the injection area.
When these substances are injected into the treatment area, the fat responds by swelling and becoming firm. This makes these accumulations of unwanted fat much easier to identify and extract.
How Different Is Tumescent Liposuction from Traditional Liposuction?
Apart from the injection of lidocaine and epinephrine, the procedure is essentially the same. Plastic surgeons use carefully applied suction to remove pockets of unwanted fat, sculpting a trimmer, slimmer, and more ideal figure in the process.
Ideal Candidates for Tumescent Liposuction
Good candidates for tumescent liposuction are people with body fat that they would like to be removed. Tumescent liposuction can be used on all parts of the body, though it’s most common around the abdominal area, flanks, buttocks, and thighs.
During a consultation at our practice, we can discuss the different kinds of liposuction options that may be most ideal for you.
The Benefits of Tumescent Liposuction
Some of the biggest benefits of tumescent liposuction include:
- Easier to Remove Body Fat - The fat’s swelling and firming up make it easier for plastic surgeons to identify body fat that needs to be removed, reducing the risk of damaging other tissues in the treatment area.
- Less Bleeding During the Surgery - Thanks to the epinephrine, there is less bleeding during tumescent liposuction than other versions of the procedure.
- Eliminates Need for General Anesthesia - Since the local anesthetic covers the entire surgical site, patients are unlikely to experience pain during the procedure. That means they will not require general anesthetic or IV sedation during the procedure.
- Reduced Bruising After Liposuction - Shrinking the blood vessels and targeting only the body fat helps reduce the severity of bruising during liposuction, which aids in a faster recovery process.
The Results of Tumescent Liposuction
The results of tumescent liposuction can be dramatic, helping you look more athletic and in better shape. While only several pounds of body fat can be safely removed during the process, the overall outcomes can be quite dramatic, improving the way you think of yourself.
Contact an Experienced Plastic Surgeon
For more information about liposuction and your many other options for body contouring and sculpting, be sure to contact the team at Devlin Cosmetic Surgery. We are here to help you look your best. You can reach out practice by phone at (501) 222-1204.
Related to This
“Dr. Devlin helped me rewrite the ending to my journey from fat to fabulous. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.” Lisa Bordeaux, from a Google+ Review