Restore a Masculine Appearance with Male Breast Reduction
Cosmetic Surgeon, Dr. Michael Devlin, specializes in male breast reduction surgery, offering the full scope of treatment from his practice in Little Rock, AR. Dr. Michael Devlin is locally viewed as one of the best gynecomastia surgeons and generally best cosmetic surgeons for men in the city. By one estimate, as many as 40 percent of adult men in the United States have some degree of sagging or protruding flesh in their chests. Boys often develop at least some excess breast tissue when they reach puberty. The condition usually disappears within a few months or years. However, some young males never outgrow the problem. Though the condition usually resolves by itself, in as many as one third of males, the condition persists into adulthood. Among many other frequently asked questions, gynecomastia is, yes, very treatable, as many men have discovered in recent years.
Causes of the Condition
As a highly trained and educated cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Devlin understands not just how enlarged male breasts (gynecomastia) can affect a man's confidence, but also the condition's underlying causes. Besides puberty, gynecomastia can arise because of an imbalance of hormones or as a side effect of certain medications, such as those that treat low testosterone, stomach acid, or high blood pressure. Abuse of alcohol, marijuana, or anabolic steroids for weight lifting can also contribute to gynecomastia. Patients may be asked about these factors during a review of their health history at the consultation.
Benefits of Gynecomastia Surgery
Large Male Breasts or Gynecomastia really should not be viewed as being something abnormal, but rather something that is quite common. Despite the frequency of gynecomastia, most men are embarrassed about their condition. Men are often reluctant to take their shirts off at the beach or pool. Some wear baggy shirts or even 2 shirts just to conceal it. Even body builders who have very little body fat become self-conscious. A male breast reduction procedure removes this anxiety and roadblock to confidence, allowing a man to feel proud of his masculine physique.
Types of Surgery Techniques used by Dr. Devlin
In severe cases of gynecomastia, the weight of excess breast tissue may cause the breasts to sag and stretch the areola (the dark skin surrounding the nipple). In these cases the position and size of the areola can be surgically improved and excess skin may be reduced. Dr. Devlin may use a combination of techniques depending on your individual circumstance to remove the unwanted breast tissue.
In cases where enlarged breasts is primarily the result of excess fatty tissue, liposuction techniques alone may be used. There are various liposuction techniques that may be used; the technique most appropriate in your case will be defined prior to your procedure.
Excision is recommended where glandular breast tissue or excess skin must be removed. Excision is the cutting out of breast tissue. It is necessary if the areola will be reduced, or the nipple repositioned to a more natural male contour. In most cases, Dr. Devlin is able to perform the excision with only a small incision in the lower half of the areola.
Sometimes gynecomastia is treated with both liposuction and excision. During your consultation Dr. Devlin will address your goals and form a treatment plan based on your individual needs.
Most men find that male breast reduction surgery requires minimal recovery. Patients leave the surgical facility with bandages and sometimes a support garment to minimize swelling. The medical team provides detailed aftercare instructions, and patients are encouraged to call our office if they have any questions. Most patients report that they are able to resume normal, everyday activities within a few days following their gynecomastia surgery procedure. Patients can resume exercise slowly over the course of several weeks.
The decision to have gynecomastia surgery is extremely personal and you’ll have to decide if the benefits will achieve your goals and if the risks and potential complications are acceptable. Many people mistakenly believe that since this is an elective surgery that there are no risks or complications. Dr. Michael Devlin will explain in detail the risks associated with gynecomastia surgery during your consultation as well as during your pre-operative appointment before surgery.
You will be asked to sign consent forms to ensure that you fully understand the procedure you will undergo and any risks or potential complications. If you are a smoker or have smoked in the past you will be required to sign a smoking consent as well. Some patients also experience:
- Unfavorable scarring - Dr. Michael Devlin will follow up with you closely. Sometimes scars can become red, widened or raised. There are many treatment options for this such as, steroid injections, micro-needing or in scar revision surgery.
- Hematoma or Seroma - A small area of blood or fluid can accumulate in the chest region. There may be pain bruising or swelling to the affected area. This would require Dr. Michael Devlin to drain the area.
- Blood Clots in legs - As with any type of surgery, there is a potential for developing blood clots in your legs after surgery. This is an extremely rare event. You should report any symptoms of swelling, pain or tenderness in one or both legs immediately to Dr. Devlin.
Dr. Devlin has been helping men feel more confident and restore a sense of masculinity for many years, creating many dramatic transformations along the way.
- Infection - Though uncommon, post-operative infections can happen. You should report any redness, drainage or chills and fever over 100.5.
- Poor wound healing - A rare complication usually associated with individuals that have a history of smoking, diabetes, obesity or poor nutrition.
- Changes in nipple or breast sensation - This complication is common as a temporary side effect, but has the potential to be permanent for some patients.
- Chest contour, shape irregularities, and breast asymmetry - This may necessitate revision surgery. If liposuction is used, there is an increased risk of uneven contours, rippling or loose skin, irregular pigmentation, excessive fluid accumulation. The technique used to treat this condition depends on the degree of breast and fat tissue present as well as the character and tone of the skin. In most cases it involves a combination of liposuction and excision of the excessive breast tissue. The surgery is commonly performed on an outpatient basis.
Male Breast Reduction (Gynecomatia) Surgery Cost
Gynecomastia surgery in Little Rock, Arkansas by Dr. Michael Devlin is approximately $7000. This price includes surgeons fees, surgery center fees, anesthesia, post-opertaive garment, as well as, all follow up care.
Refine Your Chest
Dr. Devlin has been helping men feel more confident and restore a sense of masculinity for many years, creating many dramatic transformations along the way. For more information on how Dr. Michael Devlin can help treat gynecomastia with male breast reduction surgery call us at 501-227-8811 or contact our team online today!
“Dr. Devlin helped me rewrite the ending to my journey from fat to fabulous. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.” Lisa Bordeaux, from a Google+ Review